Health and disability insurance
As a health fund, CM is responsible for the implementation of health and disability insurance.
The concrete implementation of the health and disability insurance is done by:
- the health insurance funds (grouped into five national associations, including the National Association of Christian Mutualities);
- the Auxiliary Fund for Sickness and Disability Insurance;
- a specific health insurance fund for NMBS staff .
They reimburse medical expenses and pay compensation in the event of disability .
The management and organization of health and disability insurance is done by the National Institute for Health and Disability Insurance (Riziv) .
This receives contributions for health and disability insurance - including from the National Social Security Office and from the social insurance funds for the self-employed - and distributes them among the national unions, the Auxiliary Fund and the NMBS health insurance fund.
In addition, the Riziv is, among other things, responsible for supervising these authorities.
In Belgium, health and disability insurance is mandatory for everyone .
The system is based on the solidarity principle . Everyone can enjoy it and contribute in proportion to their income.
The health and disability insurance applies to anyone who:
- is in line with a health insurance fund or the Auxiliary Fund for Sickness and Disability Insurance;
- has paid the social security contribution and the financial responsibility contribution.