Beware of phishing. CM never sends you e-mails with requests to alter your personal details. How can you spot a fake e-mail?

Advisory doctor in case of work disability

The advising doctor will evaluate your disability, but will also guide you during this period.

The advising doctor draws up an overview of all actions that can contribute to your return to the labor market. He assesses your disability. To this end, he consults with you and a multidisciplinary team, but also with your general practitioner, specialist or occupational physician.

Here you will find answers to various questions:

Why do I have to go to the advising doctor?

The consulting physician:

  • analyzes your medical situation and other factors;
  • looks at your medical history, social life, which activities are still feasible and your expectations;
  • determines the period of incapacity for work and whether or not you meet the conditions for receiving benefits.

Based on this, the advising doctor will look for the most suitable long-term solution . During each consultation, the doctor determines which actions you need to take. During the first year of incapacity for work, the advising doctor must check your incapacity for work. After one year, the doctor will decide whether the recognition of the disability will be extended .

The advising doctor will recognize you as incapacitated for work based on the submitted certificate of incapacity for work .

  • You are recognized as incapacitated for work : you will receive the decision of the advising doctor in writing. You will receive recognition, the necessary documents to arrange your sickness benefit and possibly also a date for a control examination.
  • You will not be recognized as incapacitated for work : you will receive the decision of the advising doctor by registered mail. You can appeal against this decision.

Who does the consulting physician work with?

The advising doctor works together with a multidisciplinary team : psychologists, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, nurses, etc. Exchanges between the advising doctor, his team, your general practitioner, specialist or occupational doctor are also possible.

This collaboration allows the consulting physician to map out all aspects of your medical, social and professional situation. This offers more options to efficiently guide you in the reintegration process : reorientation, vocational training, permitted activity, etc.

When should I go to the advising doctor?

During your period of incapacity for work, you will be invited to make an appointment with the advising doctor. This will take place in the medical cabinet closest to your place of residence.

Always accept that invitation and call the number on the invitation letter. Always contact us by telephone if it is impossible for you to make an appointment during the period stated on the invitation.

When should I notify the consulting physician?

Always inform the advising doctor in advance if you will not be present at your official address for a certain period (e.g. due to holiday or because you are recovering elsewhere). This will prevent you from missing an audit, which could lead to an interruption of your benefits.

For some holiday destinations you must also have the permission of the advising doctor before you leave.

What if I am incapacitated for work for more than a year?

After nine months of incapacity for work, the advising doctor will invite you for a consultation again. He then draws up a report, because after one year of incapacity for work you switch to disability . The report is submitted to the Medical Council for Disability (GRI) of the Riziv . That can:

  • accept the advising doctor's proposal and extend the incapacity for work;
  • request additional medical information from the consulting physician;
  • invite you to an additional medical examination carried out by a doctor from the Riziv.

In all cases the decision is confirmed for a certain period. At the end of this period, your file will be examined again.

Even in the event of disability, the consulting physician continues to fulfill his role of supervisor . A full or partial return to work or vocational retraining is sometimes possible and is often desired by the person concerned. Depending on the evolution of your health, the advising doctor will invite you again, even if you are already in the period of disability.

What if the GRI decides to terminate my disability?

If the GRI decides to terminate your disability , you will receive a written statement stating the date from which you are no longer recognized as disabled. You resume work from that date or you register as a job seeker. You will no longer receive sickness benefits.

If you do not agree with the decision of the advising doctor or the GRI, you can appeal to the labor court within three months. Your union can help you with this. These procedures often take one to two years. While awaiting the ruling, you can receive provisional unemployment benefits . The ruling of the labor court may have tax consequences.