Beware of phishing. CM never sends you e-mails with requests to alter your personal details. How can you spot a fake e-mail?

European health insurance card

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) entitles you to reimbursement from a foreign health insurance fund for necessary healthcare.

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) entitles you to reimbursement from a foreign health insurance fund for necessary healthcare in the countries of the EU and some other countries.

The EHIC proves that your health insurance is in order.  Always take an EHIC with you when you:

  • are posted abroad;
  • study abroad;
  • are unemployed and looking for work abroad;
  • spend an average of three to six months abroad;
  • regularly stay abroad;
  • go on holiday to Spain or Australia (we recommend a paper card when you travel to Australia).

Frequently asked questions about EHIC

    You can find the EHIC in the My CM-MC app, but you can still request it by logging in to My CM-MC. Submit your request via My CM-MC well in advance, so that the card can be sent on time.
    Do you still have a paper EHIC? Make sure that the validity date has not expired. 

    The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is a personal card that can be used when you temporarily stay abroad. It proves that your health insurance is in order and entitles you to reimbursement from a foreign health insurance fund for unforeseen and necessary care and further treatment of an existing condition that had already started in Belgium.

    Australia - Austria - Bulgaria - Croatia - Cyprus - Czech Republic - Denmark - Estonia - Finland - France - Germany - Greece - Hungary - Iceland - Ireland - Italy - Latvia - Liechtenstein - Lithuania - Luxembourg - Malta - Netherlands - North Macedonia - Norway - Poland - Portugal - Romania - Slovakia - Slovenia - Spain - Sweden - Switzerland - United Kingdom

    Reimbursement of your health costs in Australia is subject to particular rules. Therefore, when staying in Australia, it is advisable to register with a local Medicare agency. If you present your passport and paper EHIC there, you will receive a Medicare Card. This entitles you to reimbursement for, among other things, care in public hospitals. Please note that your costs will not be refunded once you return to Belgium. Read more about what to do when staying in Australia .

    Healthcare is free in some countries upon presentation of your EHIC. 

    Do you still have to pay? You pay amounts less than 250 euros yourself. You can get a refund afterwards.

    • Or you submit the bill to a local health insurance fund. Upon presentation of your EHIC, you will be reimbursed for your costs based on local rates.
    • Either provide the original invoices to CM-MC upon your return to Belgium. For France, also keep 'la vignette médicale'.

    For amounts higher than 250 euros, please contact Mutas. They arrange payment directly with the healthcare providers.
    Read more about CM-MC travel assistance.

    Make sure you contact the Mutas emergency center (+ 32 2 272 09 00) within 48 hours of your admission. You are automatically entitled to this assistance if you are in order of payment with CM-MC. 

    • Admission to a public hospital

      Submit your EHIC or the replacement certificate (you will receive it from Mutas if you do not have your EHIC with you) to the admission service. The hospital settles the costs directly with the foreign health insurance fund.

    • Admission to a private hospital

      Private hospitals generally do not accept the EHIC.

      • Are you not entitled to CM-MC travel assistance? Then you have to pay the invoice yourself. You can then submit them on site to a local health insurance fund (upon presentation of your EHIC) or to CM-MC after your return to Belgium.

    Then you cannot use your EHIC. You can receive an S2 form after approval by the advising doctor.