Health is much more than not being sick. Also keep your mental health in good condition.
Health insurance provides reimbursement for psychological care organized by a mental health network.
As a CM member, you can also count on reimbursement of psychological or psychotherapeutic sessions that are not reimbursed by health insurance, thanks to the CM benefit - under certain conditions.
Health insurance is mandatory in Belgium. Everyone who contributes can enjoy it.
For psychological care sessions organized by a mental health network, you only pay the personal share:
- 11 euros per session (or 4 euros if you have the increased allowance ) for individual sessions;
- 2.50 euros per session for group sessions.
What is a mental health network?
- List of mental health networks for children and young people
- List of mental health networks for adults
Sessions can be done individually or in groups. They can take place in a practice room of the network, but also in a suitable room with the patient or via video.
Reimbursement by health insurance is limited in number of sessions. This takes into account:
- the type of psychological care (primary or specialized). The number of reimbursable sessions depends on whether the sessions are individual or in group, and whether it is primary or specialized care. On the Riziv page you will find a complete overview of how many of those sessions and in what combination are reimbursable.
- the age group (children and young people up to 23 years old, or adults from 15 years old). The age groups overlap: children and young people up to 23 years old, and adults from 15 years old. Young adults aged 15 to 23 can choose which group they find the most suitable offer.
- Primary care: 10 individual sessions or 8 group sessions per 12 months.
- Specialized: on average 10 (maximum 20) individual sessions per 12 months or 15 group sessions per 12 months.
- Primary care: 8 individual sessions or 5 group sessions per 12 months.
- Specialized: average of 8 (maximum 20) individual sessions per 12 months (maximum 20) or 12 group sessions per 12 months.
What should you do?
Contact a clinical psychologist or clinical educationalist affiliated with a mental health network that has signed the new convention with the Riziv.
What are the conditions?
- Psychological care is organized by a mental health network that has signed the new convention with the Riziv.
- Individual sessions are supervised by a clinical psychologist or clinical educationalist who is affiliated with such a network. For group sessions, the psychologist or educational psychologist can collaborate with other healthcare or social workers who are connected to the network.
- A referral or prescription is not required to initiate primary psychological care. To initiate specialized psychological care, the psychologist or educational psychologist draws up a functional assessment during the first session.
As a CM member you can count on a maximum of 24 refunds per life. Only one session per day will be refunded.
Fully digital processes are also eligible for reimbursement. These must take place via a secure online communication channel that guarantees the minimum conditions and usage rules for secure communication, as stated on the eHealth platform.
50 percent of the fee paid will be refunded per session, with a maximum of 30 euros. Members with an increased allowance will be reimbursed 75 percent of the fee per session, with a maximum of 45 euros.
Find your healthcare provider
Find a healthcare provider for your psychological or psychotherapeutic treatment.
Download the application form
You will find the psychological care application form here.
For BloomUp sessions eligible for reimbursement, the application form is not required; the refund is done automatically.
You will receive the refund
CM will deposit the refund into your account.
What are the conditions?
This benefit applies to treatments from January 1, 2023.
- For children and young people:
- is a member of CM;
- is entitled to the Growth Package for young people up to a maximum of 25 years or is registered as a dependent child on the day of the first session.
- For adults:
- is a member of CM.
- The psychological or psychotherapeutic treatment is carried out by :
- The psychological or psychotherapeutic treatment can also be provided by a healthcare provider based abroad. Then the following conditions apply:
- a clinical psychologist who has a European Certificate for Clinical Psychologists (Europsy);
- a psychotherapist who has a European Certificate for Psychotherapists (ECP).
- The refund does not apply to sessions:
- for which there is already a reimbursement from the compulsory health insurance;
- as testing and (preliminary) research;
- in a care institution, with the exception of outpatient care;
- by centers for mental health care, centers for student guidance, rehabilitation centers, Child & Family, the Flemish Agency for Persons with Disabilities, Social Work services, educational institutions, judicial welfare work or special youth assistance;
- where the patient is not present or has no contact via a digital platform.