What to do when you retire?

An application must only be submitted to the municipal council if you are taking early retirement.

When you retire, the relevant government department will automatically inform CM, so that you do not have to do anything yourself. Only notify CM if you receive sickness or disability benefits .

Only those who retire early still have to submit an application.

Are you eligible for increased compensation? CM would like to invite you to view this together.

Do you have a question about your (early) retirement?

You can contact the Federal Pension Service .

Self-employed people can contact the RSVZ or their own social insurance fund.

Belgian retirees living in another country

Are you a pensioner in Belgium, but do you live in another EEA country (European Union countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) or Switzerland ? Then you can register in your country of residence with a Belgian form S1.

This means you have all rights to healthcare under the social security system of your country of residence.

    Are you going abroad temporarily? Then in some situations you must take a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) with you. The EHIC is personal and proves that you are in order with your health insurance. You do not need this in Belgium or in your country of residence.

    You can find the EHIC in the My CM app .

    Do you still want a physical EHIC? Then request this from CM. You cannot get them from the insurance institution in your country of residence. As a CM member you can order the EHIC online or at the CM office .

    You require prior permission for planned treatment in an EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland. CM is authorized to do so.

    • You submit your application to the insurance institution of your country of residence.
    • This person will process your application and submit it to CM.
    • CM may or may not grant approval and send it to the insurance institution in your country of residence.
    • This permission is not required for planned treatment in your country of residence or Belgium.

    Belgium grants a right of return . With your Belgian electronic identity card (eID):

    • you are entitled to reimbursement of medical care under the Belgian health insurance;
    • you do not need to obtain prior permission from your country of residence for planned treatment in Belgium.

    Don't have an eID? The ISI+ card gives you the same rights. You can request this from CM.